These that come by plane, land in Thessaloniki.
From Thessaloniki, a auto transfer can be arranged to the hotel or even a auto rental.
After you get to your hotel there are numerous alternatives to rent a auto in the principal resorts, but likely it is superior to get 1 at Thessaloniki airport.
You will want it anyway to discover the region!
Of course, there is public transport in the area, but the charm of Halkidiki lies in its isolated beaches that can not be reached by public transport. That is why it is critical to have a auto.
Exactly where is Halkidiki?
Halkidiki is a peninsula on mainland Greece, with mountains on 1 side and seaside resorts on East (from Akanthos to Egnatia Odos) and West (from Thessaloniki to Nea Moudania).
It has 3 “legs” getting into the Aegean Sea.
Kasandra, Sithonia and Mount Athos are its 3 modest peninsulas, every 1 with distinctive capabilities.
Exactly where to Keep in Halkidiki?
There are a lot of hotels and villas supplying accommodation along the coast.
It is not really high-priced to book a area in a two or three star hotel.
There are some fantastic four star hotels also.
Most five-star hotels are situated in the exclusive resort Porto Carras.
Developed for the wealthy and well-known this is the luxury aspect of Halkidiki with yachts and pret-a-porter boutiques.
Image by gkissinger from Pixabay
I have broken down the places to enable you pick out your keep.
- Kassandra is the spot to book if you like lively resorts, music on the beach, shops and nightlife.
- Polychronos has 1 of the most crowded beaches in Halkidiki. It is a pebbled beach, with pebble inside the water, narrow and complete of sunbeds. The hotels and restaurants in Polychronos are really close to the beach and that is a significant benefit if you have modest young children and lots of luggage for them.
- Sithonia is a excellent decision for these that favor a nature, a quieter setting or have households with modest young children.
- Porto Koufo is a fantastic decision for an isolated spot to keep in Sithonia? It has a extended, narrow beach with only three-four guests, a couple of tavernas and some hotels and villas.
- Athos is an region that can only be accessed by the border amongst Macedonia and Mount Athos so it has really couple of options of accommodation.
- Ouranopolis is its principal resort in Halkadiki. Right here you are going to keep in a chic village with modest boutique hotels and loved ones owned villas.
Search Booking.com for hotels
What to consume in Halkidiki?
Halkidiki is a fantastic spot for consuming out.
The restaurants are commonly neighborhood tavernas owned by households that serve classic plates.
If you like Greek meals, right here you can attempt it and the costs are far more than acceptable.
- Gyros (the Greek donner with tzatziki sauce as an alternative of mayonnaise)
- Souvlaki (the spicy pork and chicken skewers), pastitio (a classic lasagna),
- Kleftiko (lamb and vegetables cooked in the oven simply because Greeks know the secrets of lamb cooking)
- Fish and sea fruits will make tough your decision every single time you open the menu.
- And for desert, you can attempt the remarkable yogurt with honey and walnuts.
- Ouzo is not amongst my favorites, but if you want to attempt a neighborhood drink, be ready for a fire in your mouth when you initially taste it.
- At the beach you can order virtually everywhere the Greek frappe, a mixture of coffee and ice cubes, really refreshing when the sun is up.
When to go to Halkidiki?
Positioned in northern aspect of Greece, temperatures in Halkidiki are not as higher as in the South of the nation.
- June is a fantastic month for sunshine and beach lovers. It really is the month I operate on my tan.
- July and August can be exceptionally hot, but the water is ideal for bathing.
- September was my preferred decision due to the fact it is really warm, but without having the scorching heat of July and August.
- April and October are remarkable and the resorts are virtually empty. It really is also a fantastic time to delight in nature and hike or bike about the region.
- November to March it is also cold to keep at the beach and not all hotels are open.
The higher season in Halkidiki is from June to September,
For the duration of that time there are a lot of activities to do and areas to go to.
The costs are larger, but it is far more economical than other touristy areas in Greece.
Factors to do in Halkidiki
You can devote a complete getaway right here and every single day locate distinctive issues to do in Halkidiki.
Discover the cities, go to classic villages, uncover hidden beaches and swim in the crystal clear, emerald waters of Aegean Sea.
1. Check out Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki is the principal city of the area and the second largest city in Greece.
Right here you can go to 1 of the several churches, discover the old town with cobble stone streets or take a stroll on the promenade.
On the promenade you will locate the symbol of Thessaloniki – the White Tower.
two. Discover the beaches of Kassandra Greece
Kassandra is the initially modest peninsula of Halkidiki and the easiest to attain from Thessaloniki.
It is far more created than its sister, Sithonia, but it has some isolated beaches, also.
Its recognized beaches are in the principal resorts Kallithea, Kriopigi or Hanioti.
A lovely isolated beach is Paliouri situated close to the top rated of Kassandra.
three. Delight in the crystal-clear waters of Sithonia
Sithonia is viewed as to have the ideal beaches in Halkidiki.
Apart from the beach, you can quit from spot to spot to admire the landscape.
In Sarti, you there is a ideal view of Mount Athos.
In the southern aspect of the peninsula, from the road you can see Mamba beach.
And for crystal-clear waters go to Vourvourou or to Kalogria beach. Each have soft sand and emerald green water.
four. Take a cruise to Mount Athos
The only way to see the Mount Athos Monasteries is on a cruise.
Note: Girls are not permitted on that territory, so if you are traveling as a couple, only the man can go to the Monastery.
The cruise begins in Ormos Panagias (Sithonia) and the boat requires you as close as you can get to see 1 by 1 the gigantic monasteries.
In the afternoon the ship stops in Ouranopolis, a lovely village with old homes and a white tower guarding it.
five. Check out the classic villages in Halkidiki
Apart from the beaches of Kassandra you can also go to the classic village of Afitos.
Stroll by way of Afitos old town that is constructed on a cliff above Toroneos bay. It provides a breath-taking view of the sea.
You can wander the narrow streets, admire the classic homes constructed from stone and have a lunch at a neighborhood restaurant with a view.
Even on rainy days, Afitos is nonetheless a excellent decision if you can not go to the beach.
Parthenonas on Sithonia is an old town constructed in mountains. It is like an open-air village museum, so it also deserves a go to!
On the way up to it, appear more than your shoulder to see a view you will try to remember forever!
Image by biancaunduli from Pixabay
Good beaches, remarkable views, classic villages properly preserved and the largest monastic complicated in Greece are just some factors to come to Halkidiki.
Give it a opportunity and you will not regret it. You will have regrets only when you need to go back residence, and you will yearn for it several days just after.
Going to Greece? Pin this post to Save to Pinterest for future reference.
About the Author: Corina writes on her blog Another Milestone about loved ones travel in Europe, for functioning moms that want to wander, for fathers in search of new destinations and for curious young children. S
he lives in Bucharest and does also travel consulting and design and style for these who want to go to Romania.
You can stick to her weblog on Pinterest and Facebook