In my thoughts, Brussels is at all times winter.
Freezing chilly, snow, or rain. A gray backdrop, coat, gloves, an umbrella, and an absent solar – irrespective of what number of occasions I visited the solar was at all times hiding.
Sadly, I solely have recollections of chilly from this metropolis, as a result of all 4 occasions I visited I by no means acquired to get pleasure from any sunshine; by no means acquired to drink some chocolate whereas amassing some solar. There has solely been rain, and extra rain…I by no means acquired the possibility to have a correct stroll round city or see many issues. I used to be at all times considering, although, that possibly Brussels is so chilly due to all that chocolate. I learn someplace that Belgium produces 172.000 tons of chocolate annually and that there are over 2.100 chocolate shops. I suppose all this chocolate should be bought someway, and the chilly helps…
The solar may show to be damaging for the income.
Scrumptious candies (supply)
I additionally learn that they name Brussels the Capital of Europe. You already know, due to the European Union, NATO, and the like. To me, this sounds extremely trendy, but additionally fairly boring and soul-less. It mainly tells me nothing.
All these small and peculiar issues that you just come to like a few metropolis make up its character.
The well-known Atonium (supply)
I’ve mentioned it earlier than that the solar can remodel a metropolis, so I made a decision to take again the greyness of Brussels, develop into its buddy, and showcase its vibrant secrets and techniques. This time I put my religion on my buddy Vasilis, who has lived in Brussels for years, so I belief him as I’d a neighborhood.
10+1 issues value seeing, tasting, and having fun with in Brussels:
1. Let’s begin with some fundamentals: the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and Army Historical past, the Atomium, the well-known Mini Europe, with reproductions
of well-known European monuments, the Palace of Justice, constructed within the eclectic type, and the attractive backyard of Petit Sablon.
2. Have your espresso at Café Belga on Place Flagey, slightly below Maison de la Radio. The cultural elite used to collect there.
3. Frappé type espresso on the Golden bar on Grand Place. You might not be a buddy of frappé, however in case you crave one, that is the place you’ll discover it.
4. For a drink, go to Ethnik Bar, on Avenue Luise. It’s owned by Greeks, and Vasilis tells me they’re nice guys. They should be…
5. For Belgian mussels – that you need to strive – go to the well-known Chez Leon on Rue des Bouchers. The oldest and most well-known restaurant for mussels and fried potatoes. Heaven!
Moules Frites (supply)
6. If you happen to crave some Greek meals, go to restaurant Kali Kardia, close to the Greek group. This place launched the so-called “little bones” to the Belgian gastronomy; an necessary addition I feel!
7. For Belgian delicacies, strive the restaurant Copenhagen Tavern on Porte de Namur. Ensure you strive Carbonnade a al flamand, one thing just like the Greek kokinisto ‘crimson sauce casserole,’ however cooked with beer!
8. For a drink, an ideal place, which is de facto an condo, is The Flat on Rue de la Reinette. For beers, simply anyplace!
9. After you’ve seen Manneken Pis, the statue of the little boy who urinates, seek for the statue of the little woman, Jeanneke Pis. You’ll find it on a slim cul-de-sac on Rue de Bouchers. It makes a distinction!
10. For buying, go to Chaussee d’ixelles or Rue Neuve, or subsequent door to the buying middle City2. For dearer, too costly, tastes, strive Avenu Louise and Avenue de la toison d’or. In case you’re going in the direction of Anderlecht, strive Westland Purchasing for final minute buying.
Grand Place (supply)
I’ll add another, my favourite:
11. Eat numerous candies, drink them, purchase them, get smudged, and revel in them. I counsel you strive citronettes and orangettes, coated with sesame, or Pierre Marcollini chocolate. One field just isn’t sufficient, consider me.
Have you ever ever been to Brussels?
What different secret would you add to this record?
Translation from Greek to English: Maria Coveou
Chances are you’ll not republish, copy or modify the content material with out my consent.