It’s a place of spiritual significance. It’s a place of non secular significance. It finds point out in our puranas and plenty of literary books, particularly the Tevarams. It’s gopurams and musical pillars are a piece of lovely artwork. The complete metropolis is synonymous with this temple that’s steeped in so many wealthy legends and tales.
I’m speaking concerning the Nellaiappar temple, a dwelling instance of lovely Dravidian structure that was constructed by the early Pandyas within the seventh century.
Situated on the northern banks of the Thamirabharani river, the Nellaiappar temple is devoted to Lord Shiva and his consort goddess Parvati. Lord Shiva is worshipped as Nellaiappar or Venuvananathar and Goddess Parvati is worshipped as Kantimathi Amman. However, its foremost function is that it is among the Pancha Sabhai Sthalangal or one of many 5 locations the place Lord Shiva is believed to have carried out his cosmic dance (Tandava dance). The Nellaiappar temple is the Thamirachabai (copper corridor) primarily based on the dance pose of Nataraja. The opposite places of the cosmic dance are:
1) Natrajar Temple, Chidambaram – Porchabai (Gold)
2) Meenakshi Amman Temple, Madurai – Vellichabai (Silver)
3) Sri Vadaranyeswarar Temple, Thiruvalangadu, Chennai – Rathinachabai (Emerald)
4) Kutralanathar Temple, Thirukutralam – Chithirachabai (Artwork)
Though the Nellaiappar temple was initially constructed through the reign of the early Pandyas, it has seen many additions through the reigns of the long run empires, particularly the Cholas, Pallavas, Cheras, Nayaks and the Vijayanagara kings. Following are the important thing architectural highlights of this temple and that you need to positively expertise throughout your go to to this cosmic surprise.
1) Mani Mandapam with its well-known musical pillars
2) The Sangili Mandapam that connects the shrines of Nellaiappar and Kantimathi Amman
3) Vasantha Mandapam with its 100 pillars
4) Nandi Mandapam and
5) The mighty gopuram of this temple that’s 850 ft lengthy and 756 ft extensive
Whereas the artwork and construction of the temple are finest skilled throughout non competition days and through non peak hours, the total non secular fanfare will be skilled throughout festivals, throughout particular days and through temple ritual occasions. For those who want to see the abhishekha (sacred tub), alangaram (ornament), naivethanam (meals providing) and deep aradanai (waving of lamps) for Nellaiappar and Kantimathi Amman, do make sure you go to through the following hours and get a abhishekham ticket to see it from shut quarters:
5: 15 AM – Thiruvananthal
6: 00 AM – Ushatkalapooja
7: 00 AM – Sirukalasanthi
8:00 AM – Kalasanthi
12:00 midday – Uchikalam
6:00 PM – Sayarakshai
8:30 PM – Arthajamam
9:15 PM – Palliarai
9: 30 PM – Bhairavar Poojai
Following are the key days and months when the Nellaiappar temple wears a festive look:
1) Somavaram (Monday) and Sukravaram (Friday)
3) Amavasai (New Moon), Pournami (Full Moon), Chaturthi (4th day of the moon cycle) and Kiruthugai (When the moon is in Krittika nakshatra)
4) The months of Thai (Jan 15 to Feb 15), Aani (June 15 to July 15), Aippasi (October 15 to November 15)
And after getting been fully mesmerized by the non secular fervour and delightful inventive expression of this temple, do bask in some garments purchasing at well-known institutions similar to Pothys and Rmkv, dig into the long-lasting Iruttu Kadai Halwa offered each night simply reverse the principle temple entrance and soak within the many charms of this vibrant metropolis in India’s deep South. In spite of everything this South Indian metropolis is a full cosmic surprise vacation package deal!
Learn how to attain right here:
Tirunelveli may be very effectively related by good rail and highway community. Lengthy distance trains and buses join it with most elements of India. As it’s a part of the golden quadrilateral undertaking, prime quality Four lane highways join it with different main cities, thus making highway journey a scorching favourite with guests.
The closest airports are Tuticorin (50 kms), Madurai (160 kms) and Thiruvananthapuram (155 kms).
The place to remain:
Many inns catering to a wide range of budgets can be found in Tirunelveli junction and Tirunelveli city. Uber luxurious may be onerous to come back by right here.
Greatest season to go to:
Tirunelveli enjoys scorching tropical climate throughout the 12 months. Summers will be extraordinarily scorching and is finest averted except you want to make use of summer time holidays. October to March can be excellent to go to because of bearable day time temperatures.
Close by Vacationer Points of interest:
1) Rameshwaram – one of many char dhams
2) Tiruchendur Sea Shore Temple, a coastal magnificence
3) Courtrallam Falls, Manimuthar Falls, Agastyar Falls and Kalakad Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve – a barrage of waterfalls inside one in all India’s least explored tiger reserves
4) Meenakshi Amman Temple at Madurai to see one in all Tamil Nadu’s finest temples
5) The Chettinad palaces and homes at Karaikudi to see the opulence of the Chettinad dynasty and to pattern their scrumptious delicacies
6) 1000 12 months outdated Papanasanathar Temple at Papanasam the place you’ll be able to wash away all of your sins
7) Kasi Viswanathar Temple at Tenkasi, a temple that’s thought of the Varanasi of the South