Amsterdam is an best city for a solo traveler to visits. The Dutch people’s down to earth, rather egalitarian social attitudes and curiosity about foreigners indicates men and women are open, friendly, and welcoming to vacationers.
The city itself is somewhat little and compact, as well, which means it does not take lengthy to get familiar with the major landmarks and basic layout, so you can really feel confident navigating the city on your personal.
For a solo traveler, the Netherlands is cosy and accessible, with a wide variety of cultural attractions, terrific meals, lively city life, and a wealth of year-round events to retain you busy. Right here are some Amsterdam solo travel ideas for you.
Arriving in Amsterdam
To get from Schiphol airport to the city center, your very best choice is to take the train. As you stroll out of the arrivals region, the airport integrates with the train station fluidly: you do not even have to go outdoors to catch the train.
Trains are accessed by escalators to the platforms beneath ground level, and tickets can be purchased from yellow ticket machines standing in the airport plaza, or from the staffed ticket window. Tickets to the city centre price €5.30 a single way, and trains take about 20 minutes.
Alternatively, a taxi to the centre will price you about €50, and can be identified outdoors the terminals. Some hotels provide airport shuttle buses, so it is worth asking ahead of you arrive.
Exactly where to Keep in Amsterdam
Acquiring a terrific region to remain in Amsterdam is somewhat uncomplicated the city has a lot to provide, and caters to guests of unique budgets. If you want to remain as close to the city centre, remain away from the tony townhouses of The Nine Streets region, and think about Centrum or the Jordaan.
Centrum (Binnenstadt) is the most central district in Amsterdam, and has all the conveniences inner-city life gives. Across a canal from the major train station, you are straight away surrounded by boat organizations providing tours on the canals, huge shops, and rapid meals restaurants.
It can really feel pretty touristy, particularly about the city’s major square, Dam Square, and in De Wallen (the Red Light District). Staying in this region is hassle-free, but not charming.
The Jordaan is a single of the most picturesque neighbourhoods in the city. Initially a district for boat and dock workers constructed in the 17th century, and then successfully a slum, it is now a single of the most sought-soon after places in Amsterdam.
Higgledy-piggledy, but nevertheless chic, homes lean against every single other and more than the canals, producing an “only in Amsterdam” appear and really feel. Right here you can discover Amsterdam hotels, bed and breakfasts, and guest homes for a cosy and reasonably priced remain.
There are lots of cafes, restaurants and shops all through the Jordaan, and a different terrific market place referred to as Noordermarkt. Even if you do not remain right here, it is surely worth exploring.
Obtain terrific bargains by way of Booking (search beneath).
Issues to Do in Amsterdam for Solo Travelers
There are so lots of points to do in Amsterdam and so lots of locations for a solo traveler to pay a visit to. You can take your choose from a glut of museums, galleries, and historical landmarks, and then retain your explorations going on the lots of picturesque streets to wander.
There is also some terrific buying and entertainment, and lekker (tasty) meals to be identified everywhere. Right here are some of the points you can do, and locations to pay a visit to when in Amsterdam.
- Amsterdam has some of the very best museums in the planet, such as the not-to-be-missed Rijksmuseum, exactly where you could simply devote an complete day, and the nearby Van Gogh Museum. These museums get busy for the duration of the day, so getting tickets in advance is advised.
- The Anne Frank Residence is a different of Amsterdam’s most well known points to do. Positioned on the Prinsengracht canal, this is the home in which Anne and seven other folks hid from the Nazis for much more than two years, ahead of ultimately becoming found and deported to a concentration camp.
- De Wallen (the Red Light District) is a single of the most well-known places in Amsterdam, and delivers an eye-opening introduction to the Netherlands’ liberal attitudes toward sex operate. Brothels, sex clubs and escort solutions are legal in the Netherlands, but are licensed and the sex workers need to by no means be younger than 21. Although this region is protected to stroll by way of, we recommend going for the duration of the day or in the evening, rather than late at evening, when the drunkenness of other folks may well develop into a nuisance.
- A canal cruise is a different terrific way to see Amsterdam, particularly if you have good climate. There are lots of, lots of canal boat operators to pick out from you will not have problems acquiring a single in the city center!
- The Negen Straatjes, or Nine Streets, requires up the southern finish of the Jordaan involving the Singel and Prinsengracht. These blocks are packed with boutiques and little shops, cafes, beauty salons, supermarkets, and the obligatory weed-smoking coffee shops. It is a lively, cheerful spot to browse independent shops or drink coffee in a cosy café.
- In Centrum, the city’s oldest developing, Oude Kerk (“Old Church”) is a good quit. Consecrated as the Roman Catholic St Nicholas Church in 1306, this wonderful developing now functions as a cultural centre, with exhibitions, concerts, discussions and screenings. It has retained its impressively distinctive atmosphere, sharply in contrast with the busy Red Light District it sits in, and hosts pretty particular projects and modern art. Entrance is €10.
- If you are feeling brave, rent a bike to get about for the duration of your time in Amsterdam. Or, improved but, ask your hotel or guesthouse: some locations rent bikes straight, or give them no cost to guests. It is an affordable, entertaining way to get about this bike-crazy city, despite the fact that we wouldn’t propose it if you are not currently pretty comfy on two wheels!
If you want to get off-the-beaten path in terms of points to do, right here are some (much less recognized) ideas for Amsterdam:
The Eye Film Museum sits on the river IJ (pronounced “eye”) and is a quick ferry ride from Centraal Station (ferries across the IJ run 24 hours, as regularly as every single four minutes, and are no cost).
The award-winning architecture is striking, and includes exhibitions, an comprehensive archive of film and animation, and cinema rooms which screen Dutch and international films every day.
The café/restaurant has a terrific menu, as well, and a exclusive open space with views more than the water. The terrace is an best spot to watch the busy river site visitors of cargo ships and sailing boats. Entry to exhibitions is €10, and cinema tickets are also €10.
At the western finish of the terrific buying street Haarlemmerdijk, you can cross the road to Westerpark, a scenic park. Westergasfabriek, a complicated of cultural units in the middle of the park, gives restaurants, bars, venues for music, art and film.
There’s also TonTon, an “arcade paradise” of arcade games, and Yogafest yoga studio, which delivers lots of classes in English.
For refuge from the hustle and bustle, Sauna Deco on Herengracht is a luxurious, beautifully produced art deco sauna and spa. Partly decorated making use of pieces from a 1920s Parisian division shop, the beautiful interiors accommodate saunas, steam baths, a solarium, lounges and a restaurant.
Massages and beauty packages are also offered. Entrance starts at €19.
A lively, entertaining spot to go out in the evening, have a very good time and meet men and women is Mezrab, a cultural centre walking distance from Centraal Station. They have a packed system of storytelling, comedy, music and dance with virtually all the things performed in English.
The crowd is friendly, the hosts are hilarious, and entrance is no cost (but undoubtedly worth providing them a donation).
Amsterdam Solo Travel Recommendations: Security Considerations
Amsterdam strikes a fine balance involving pleasure-in search of hedonism and refined cultural appreciation, with unique places of the city teetering much more into a single category or the other.
Even with the omnipresent celebration culture and freely offered marijuana, Amsterdam feels remarkably protected. As with any huge city, nonetheless, there are some points to remain conscious of.
Be conscious of your crucial possessions and revenue there are pickpockets at operate all through Amsterdam but particularly in the busy places, and in the Red Light District at evening. Take regular precautions, such as maintaining valuables out of sight. If you are specifically concerned, take some added precautions to foil pickpockets.
Be cautious about the canals, particularly if you are drunk or higher. A shocking quantity of dead bodies get fished out of the canals every single year, and they’re usually guys with their flies down, indicating they fell in when peeing and had been as well inebriated to do something about it.
Drinking on the street is prohibited in lots of locations, and the police can fine you if you get caught. Bouncers at club entrances also have tiny patience with men and women who are clearly pretty drunk or excessively stoned.
For solo travelers, we’d recommend now is not the time to get excessively drunk or higher — staying protected indicates maintaining your wits about you, and the very best way to do that is to remain sober (or close to it).
This post on Amsterdam solo travel ideas will not be total if we do not advise you to beware about acquiring higher as a solo traveler. Regardless of the reality that drugs appear to flow freely in the city, they are guided by tight regulations and norms. Acquiring drugs from street dealers may well be tempting, but they’re untrustworthy, and tough drugs are nevertheless illegal.
If something takes place and you need to have a medical professional, there’s a single for vacationers at the central train station with its personal pharmacy. Alternatively, your hotel need to be in a position to enable you discover a single.
Amsterdam is a wonderful and charming city that can be simply explored on foot, by bike, or making use of public transport. Cosmopolitan and but nevertheless proud of its Dutch identity, the city is lively, friendly, and complete of attractions to love.
From outside film screenings and concerts in the summer season, to planet-class museums and cozy cafes in the winter, Amsterdam has a thing to provide all year round. It also hosts some of the most significant international festivals in Europe — for documentary film, efficiency art, and dance music — so be certain to verify occasion listings that correspond to your pay a visit to.
Regardless of its reputation for becoming a hedonistic celebration town, Amsterdam has a lot of cultural activities and sightseeing to make it effectively worth going to as a solo traveler, any time of year.
About the Author
Perpetually on the hunt for inexpensive flights, cold beers, and amazing terraces, Katie has been traveling the planet due to the fact she was 16, when she somehow persuaded her parents to let her move abroad to find out the approaches of hygge in Denmark. Choosing up a Canadian husband and a Taiwanese street cat along the way, she’s now primarily based in Budapest, exactly where she spends her time blogging at Wandertooth and producing travel-themed adult coloring books with her husband, Geoff. Stick to them on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.