That is the name by which I knew it just before: The Golden Temple of Myanmar (Burma at that time). Its actual name is Shwedagon Paya (Pagoda) , or locally Shwedagon Zedi Daw.
This bell shaped golden pagoda is not only 1 of the most amazing sights in Myanmar (former Burma), but also in Southeast Asia. And I have to agree with that! The only downside for me was that, at the time of my go to, the pagoda was undergoing renovation, which meant it was all covered in bamboo scaffolding. Hence I could not admire the complete golden splendour of it. But nonetheless, it was nevertheless the most impressive pagoda I have ever observed.
Situated on the Singuttara Hill in Yangon (former Rangoon), Shwedagon Paya it is THE landmark of the city and the most sacred religious web-site for the folks of Myanmar.
A handful of information about Shwedagon Paya:
- it is mentioned to include eight of Buddhas hair as effectively as relics of three other Buddhas who attained Enlightement
- it is 2500 years old
- it has about 100m height
- it is absolutely covered in gold (around 9 tonnes)
- the tip is decorated with valuable stones (diamonds, rubies, sapphires, topaz and a massive emerald suitable in the middle!)
- it has four entrances from the four cardinal points
- some components can only be visited by monks or other man no ladies are permitted
I spent only 1.five days in Yangon and most likely half of the time at Shwedagon Paya. I went there in the morning and in the evening. If you have time I would suggest you do the identical. The explanation for that is that the spot has a absolutely distinct atmosphere in distinct moments of the day. In the morning it seemed so peaceful and relaxing and excellent for meditation. And the finest component: incredibly handful of folks.
Beginning at sunset, extra and extra folks are coming for the evening ceremonies held there every day. At dusk, candles are getting lit everywhere transforming this in a magical spot.
Added tip for going to Shwedagon Paya:
- opening hours: 04:00-22:00
- do not go there for the duration of the day as you are asked to take away socks and the floor can get incredibly hot, generating it just about not possible to stroll (in particular if you have extra sensitive feet)
- dress code: conservative
The pagoda is situated in the city so it is not hard to get there either by public transportation or taxi. Alternatively just ask for arrangements at your hotel.
If you liked this post you can save it on Pinterest