I used to be researching on the day journeys from Gdansk, the coastal metropolis within the north of Poland. That’s after I acquired to know that I might discover Malbork Fort, which might not be simply one other citadel. Sure, for starters, Malbork Fort is the most important citadel on this planet by way of space. With Malbork Fort’s dimension being over 52 acres, it’s also the most important brick construction on this planet.
I really like castles however I had observed the costly costs for European Castles. And I used to be sceptic about Malbork Fort as properly. So though these info have been attractive sufficient to take a day journey from Gdansk, I used to be hesitant. However I went forward and managed to do it conveniently. And I need to say, I loved my journey to this mammoth citadel.
I deliberate today journey by myself, and properly inside a funds. So on this submit, I’m going to share the small print on find out how to plan a day journey to Malbork Fort with no tour. However earlier than that allow me first inform you concerning the Fort.
Some fast Malbork Fort info
- The complete identify of this citadel is The Fort of the Teutonic Order in Malbork and was constructed within the 17th century within the city of Malbork in Poland.
- Because the identify suggests above, Malbork Fort was constructed by the Teutonic Knights, a German Roman Catholic spiritual order.
- The Fort initially served as a fortress in addition to a monastery for the spiritual Teutonic Knights. Situated on the banks of the river Nogat, it later turned a spot for merchants transport within the Baltic Sea.
- In the course of the Nazi interval, the citadel served as a centre for its navy teams. The majestic structure impressed Hitler a lot that his Third Reich’s castles’ structure resembled Malbork Fort.
- On the finish of WW II, a lot of the citadel was destroyed by the Nazi military in 1945. Poland restored the glory of the citadel by renovating within the later years. Malbork Fort was acknowledged as a UNESCO World Heritage web site.
Tips on how to Get to Malbork Fort from Gdansk?
Gdansk is a good metropolis with so many issues to do. So assuming that you just’d be basing there as I did, you’ll most likely wish to take a day journey to Malbork Fort from Gdansk.
Right here is how one can attain Malbork Fort from Gdansk – There is no such thing as a choice accessible to take you on to the doorway of the citadel, other than taking a cab all the best way from Gdansk or happening a personal Malbork Fort tour, each being costly choices.
The subsequent best choice is hopping on to one of many trains. I took the prepare from Gdansk to Malbork, and it’s the least expensive choice. There are three kinds of trains that you could select from – the most cost effective is the Regio prepare, for which I paid round 14 PLN. It took about 50 minutes to reach at Malbork station. From the prepare station, the citadel is about 2km. You’ll be able to stroll or take a cab from the station to the citadel.
Once you board the prepare, examine if it stops at Malbork Kaldowo station, which is earlier than Malbork. You will get an excellent view of the citadel from this prepare station itself. It’s about 15 minutes stroll from right here. You’ll be able to see the total view of Malbork Fort from the riverside, permitting you to get some glorious pictures. My prepare didn’t cease right here, and I walked from the principle station.
TLK trains additionally cease at Malbork Fort. Barely extremely priced than Regio, it takes about 40 minutes. EIC trains instantly go to Malbork, and it takes about 30 minutes.
You’ll be able to ebook the tickets on-line or get one on the counter. Examine and purchase the prepare ticket to Malbork right here.
What’s the greatest time to go to Malbork Fort?
Malbork Fort will not be opened all year long, and the timings differ relying on the season. No matter season you select, it takes greater than half a day to discover Malbork relaxed. If you happen to go to through the summer season, you can even probably go late within the night as there are mild and sound reveals as properly. Relying on the season, the timings and the entry charges are totally different. Right here is the most recent information on this.
Summer time season: Could 01 – September 30
Timings: Interiors from 9 to 7 PM. Exterior from 10 to four PM.
Entry charges(together with audio guides): 8:30 to five PM – full value(39.50 PLN)
5:15 PM to six:15 PM – lowered value(29.50 PLN)
Winter season: October 01 – April 30
Timings: Interiors from 10 to three PM. Exterior from 9 to eight PM
Entry charges(together with audio guides): 9:30 to 1 PM – full value(29.50 PLN)
1:15 PM to 2 PM – lowered value(19 PLN)
From 2:15 PM to three:30 PM – Solely exterior. No entry to the interiors
Observe that the discounted costs are totally different than the lowered value. Examine this web page to know when you can avail discounted costs.
Malbork Fort Free Entry
Each Monday, the entry to Malbork Fort is free. Nonetheless, if you would like the audioguide, you must pay Eight PLN. The exhibition part is closed on Mondays.
On Mondays, Malbork Fort timings are as beneath.
9 AM to eight PM through the summer season (01 Could – 30 September)
10 AM to four PM through the winter (1 October – 30 April)
The place to purchase the tickets?
You should purchase the tickets to Malbork Fort on their web site(hyperlink beneath). This selection is greatest if you’re touring on weekends and through the excessive season. In any other case, relying on while you arrive and on what day, you may decide up your tickets on the counter.
Exploring the Fort
Malbork Fort is split into three ranges. The primary half is the decrease citadel, which is nothing however the entrance space together with the bridge and the principle gate. Passing by means of the gate, you’ll enter the center part or Half B(as per the audio information).
I would favor leaving the small print because it’s enjoyable to discover utilizing the audio information. Beneath are the issues that you just wouldn’t wish to miss within the citadel.
Within the center part, you’ll cross by means of St. Bartholomew’s chapel, the Grand Palace, the traditional system of heating – It’s superb to see a medieval heating mechanism that stored a lot of the rooms heat, the corridors, the spiral staircase, the glass work, kitchen and the cellar.
The excessive citadel part or Half C contains the attractive courtyard, the Virgin Mary church, the chapter home and the archaeological exhibition among the many different issues.
Malbork Fort Suggestions
- The prepare ticket is in Polish, similar to in all places in Poland. Plus, at Gdansk Glowny station, it may be laborious to find your prepare because the prepare identify could possibly be totally different and so could possibly be the platform. There is no such thing as a counter to examine with somebody and most boards have info in Polish. So please guarantee to come back early to find your prepare and board it on time!
- When to go to Malbork Fort? If you wish to go to the citadel with out the crowds taking advantage of your time, one of the best ways to plan your journey is to reach early, simply when the citadel opens. On this means, you might be carried out by midday and take a while to discover Malbork. Alternatively, you may plan to be there just a few hours earlier than the closing time.
- If you wish to select a day when the entry is free like I did, attempt to be there earlier than 2 PM. Because it was the tip of excessive season, some sections of the citadel have been closed. Additionally, the draw back of visiting with a free entry throughout winter is that you just get restricted time to discover because the Fort closes early. However I assume since not all sections are open at the moment, the time must be adequate.
- As soon as you might be within the excessive citadel, you have got an choice of getting a splendid fowl view of Malbork Fort from Wiezna Glowna tower. There’s a separate ticket to get to the highest, however I assume it’s value it. This part was closed on the Monday that I went, so greatest to examine prior.
- Is it value shopping for the audio information in Malbork Fort? I don’t purchase audio guides normally however did purchase one right here. And I actually loved attending to know the citadel’s historical past. Pushed by GPS, it was whole enjoyable to make use of the information itself, and I’d say it’s definitely worth the cash spent.
- The place to eat in Malbork Fort? Simply throughout the center citadel part premises, there’s the Gothic Cafe. If you happen to wouldn’t thoughts spending on scrumptious Polish delicacies supplied in a Gothic atmosphere, you may reserve your desk while you enter.
- Nonetheless, other than some snacks, there’s nothing to eat simply outdoors the citadel premises. On the best way resulting in Malbork citadel, there are some restaurant choices, so that you would possibly wish to plan accordingly.
- Massive baggage aren’t allowed inside. So keep away from carrying something additional.
- Lastly, earlier than visiting Malbork Fort, examine their web site right here to seek out the timings and open occasions. Additionally, if you wish to watch a Malbork Fort sound and lightweight present, you may go to this web page for particulars on the identical.
In order that’s how one can plan a visit to Malbork Fort from Gdansk by yourself.
After studying this, when you nonetheless really feel uncertain or discover it exhausting, there are some excursions that you could take from any of those beneath. I simply wish to embody these though I haven’t tried as a result of these have nice evaluations and are really helpful by individuals usually. Additionally, in fact, they arrive with extra comforts of happening a tour relaxed, with out having to fret about logistics.
If you’re searching for a complete journey information to Gdansk, examine this big information, which consists of all of the issues to do in Gdansk together with some nice ideas!
OTHER POSTS TO CHECK OUT FOR YOUR POLAND TRIP
Gdansk Journey Information – Finest Issues to do in Gdansk
Warsaw Journey Information – Finest Issues to Do in Warsaw
Wroclaw Journey Information – Finest Issues to do in Wroclaw
Share the Love. Pin this submit!
Observe: This submit incorporates affiliate hyperlinks, and when you make any buy, I’d get a small sum with none additional value to you.
Join with me on Fb, Twitter, and Instagram for journey tales.
Subscribe to My Weblog Posts for Journey Inspiration, Suggestions, Journey Guides & Tales. No Spam!