We discovered relatively rapidly whilst travelling in the Philippines that we certainly really like Filipino meals. From our very first meal and our very first bite (properly spoonful as it was a soup) of the cuisine, we knew we had discovered a different location to add to our list of culinary delights. Although Carolann had grown up consuming Filipino meals throughout standard visits to one particular of her ideal friend’s homes, there is one thing distinctive about becoming immersed and surrounded by the cuisine. The flavours are purer when one particular can obtain and use the classic components, as is not normally the case when attempting to recreate dishes from solutions bought at your personal nearby grocery retailer or industry an ocean away.
We came household with a list of dishes we wanted to make positive to incorporate into our cooking arsenal as properly as a new meals vocabulary to take with us when attempting out Filipino restaurants close to our household. 1 of these dishes was Chicken Adobo or adobo manok.
Adobo is really the cooking approach employed to make this dish so you can prepare other proteins applying this recipe, like pork. Adobo is also a term that is employed in other cuisines, such as Spanish or Caribbean, so you will likely hear it if you travel to these locations, although it signifies one thing distinctive in each and every.
Given that it is essentially the unofficial national dish of the Philippines, it is a superior location to get started your culinary journey into Filipino meals. It is also a terrific dish to make any time as it is a relatively uncomplicated and speedy recipe that includes several staples and fundamentals you likely currently have stocked in your kitchen.
How To Make The Finest Chicken Adobo
We commonly use each drumsticks and thighs and will normally modify the recipe based on how “saucy” we are feeling (see optional directions and strategies inside the recipe).
We also really like to serve our baked green bean fries recipe with the chicken adobo because the green beans add a layer of texture and crunch to the meal. What ever sides you opt for although, and even so you choose to finalize the sauce, this dish is normally properly-received!
- eight pieces of chicken (bone-in) – performs ideal with thighs or drumsticks (or each!)
- two bay leaves
- four-five cloves of garlic crushed or shredded particularly thin
- 1 tsp entire black peppercorns
- three tbsp brown sugar
- 1/four cup soy sauce
- two/three cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/two cup water
- Place the chicken (we leave the skin on) in a substantial resealable plastic bag along with vinegar, soy sauce, two Tbsp sugar, peppercorns, bay leaves and water.
- Shake to mix marinade and coat the chicken and reseal. Refrigerate for minimum two hours (can be left overnight)
- Pour contents of bag into a substantial pot or Dutch oven and make positive the chicken is layered individually. Bring to a boil just before turning to low and enabling to cook. Turn chicken every single so normally till it is tender and cooked via – roughly 25 minutes
- Line a baking sheet with foil, location oven rack to best position and preheat broiler
- Transfer chicken to baking sheet and broil in oven till slightly browned (approx three minutes) just before flipping and repeating on other side. Transfer to a shallow bowl.
- As chicken is cooking, improve heat of the remaining contents of the pot and bring to a boil
- Add 1 tsp of remaining sugar and bring to a boil.
- Cook till decreased – you can leave it at a slightly thickened liquid for a sauce, strain it and pour more than chicken in the bowl.
- Optional: You can lower additional to just about a glaze-like consistency OR modify the marinade just before cooking by leaving out the water from the plastic bag initially. This will let an even thicker glaze to be made at the finish but may well effect the tenderness of the chicken throughout the cooking course of action.
- Sprinkle chopped green onion more than the chicken and sauce in the bowl and serve with mashed potatoes or rice and your selection of sides.
Hold this post for later or share with other people on Pinterest – Just hover more than the image beneath and ‘Pin it’! If on MOBILE, tap the photo beneath and click ‘Pin It’ when it seems!