My East Coast road trip began in Connecticut. The target: get my aunt’s car or truck all the way down to Fort Lauderdale so she’d have it for her winter property. With my versatile function schedule and passion for road trips, saying yes to the trip just came naturally.
I’ve completed pieces of this road trip prior to, which includes driving by way of Florida a handful of instances, as nicely as a handful of New England road trips. But the complete trip I’d in no way completed prior to. Google Maps created it look fairly simple.
From my beginning point to final location, it was truthfully only going to take 22 hours or so of drive time. But I had the time and the passion, so my target was to make this a correct road trip.
There are so numerous cool destinations and factors to see along the Eastern Seaboard, numerous of which I hadn’t been to prior to. Under, a handful of of the finest locations to quit along the East Coast on an I-95 road trip.
Most effective Locations to Quit on an
I-95 East Coast Road Trip
They get in touch with it the “City of Brotherly Enjoy,” and as the birthplace for so a lot of American democracy, there’s small dispute of Philadelphia’s location in history. That is what tends to make it such a fantastic pitstop on a appropriate American road trip.
It is reasonably uncomplicated to see Philadelphia’s best tourist attractions in a handful of hours. The Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are across the street from a single an additional, with the National Constitution Center and U.S. Mint also in walking distance. If you program it suitable, it is uncomplicated to hit up these principal attractions in a handful of hours, grab a Philly cheesesteak to consume, and be on your way!
Major five Points to Do in Philadelphia on a road trip
- Go to the Liberty Bell and understand about freedoms about the planet
- Understand American history at the Independence Hall museum
- Take a selfie at the methods in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Have a actual Philly cheesesteak
- Refuel at Wawa (and get pleasure from affordable Tastykake treats & surprisingly good coffee)
Study a lot more Philadelphia travel guidelines right here.
Portion of the Washington, D.C. metro program, Alexandria is a taste of pure Americana. Its charming city center & principal street have a lot of cute and quaint buying and consuming selections. It is also a good location for an overnight remain as the accommodation selections are a small less costly than staying straight in Washington, D.C., although it is nevertheless accessible if you did want to do some sightseeing.
Major five Points to Do in Alexandria on a road trip
- Shop neighborhood modest firms in Alexandria’s Old Town (along King Street)
- Verify out the neighborhood artists’ workshops at the Torpedo Factory Art Center
- Understand American history at Gadsby’s Tavern – exactly where George Washington & the initially 5 USA presidents spent time
- Stock up on fresh fruit & snacks at America’s oldest farmers marketplace (each and every Saturday from 7am to noon)
- Keep at a single of the hotels in Alexandria’s Old Town and take the D.C. metro into Washington, D.C. for a evening out
Study a lot more Alexandria travel guidelines right here.
Just a additional two hours south on I-95, Virginia’s capitol city Richmond is good for a rapid city break. The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts homes an impressive collection of classic and modern arts, though the Valentine and the Edgar Allen Poe supply distinctive historical exhibitions.
And thanks to a wholesome population of young adults and college students, Richmond has a thriving foodie scene with a lot of craft breweries and cool hipster dining spots.
Major five Points to Do in Richmond on a road trip
- Go to the Valentine museum which documents, collects and preserves Richmond’s 400-year history
- Verify out the most up-to-date art exhibitions at the prestigious Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
- Take a selfie in front of the Virginia State Capitol—one of the oldest legislative bodies in America
- Discover the Arts District for trendy restaurants and quirky shops
- Do not miss the street art, numerous portion of the in depth Richmond Mural Project (specially in the Carytown neighborhood
Study a lot more Richmond travel guidelines right here.
Charleston is a bit additional from I-95 so is not a standard stopping point on this nicely-traveled road trip route, but I’m a sucker for adventure and have been curious about South Carolina for a though, so was pleased to go out of my way to go to. I consider I was also swayed to go to simply because I watch Stephen Colbert a lot, and he’s often speaking about it. I was curious.
About an hour off of I-95, Charleston is that charming sort of Southern town. Beautifully colored homes in classic colonial designs line each and every street—with blossoming flowers in the windowsills, friendly neighbors, and big porches & verandas. The principal tourist attraction is the Fort Sumter National Monument which can be visited on a tour accessed by ferry.
Major five Points to Do in Charlestown on a road trip
- Grab a coffee and meals, or shop, at a single of the numerous locations along King Street in Old Town Charlestown
- Shop neighborhood at the historic Charlestown City Marketplace
- Get an Instagram pic in front of Rainbow Row
- Stroll the Old Town and understand neighborhood history from the state historical markers
- Commit a handful of hours studying pick history at Fort Sumter National Park
Study a lot more Charleston travel guidelines right here.
Just off I-95, Savannah is quickly accessible from the highway. Property to a single of the region’s biggest art schools, the Savannah College of Art & Style, the city has a proclivity for creativity—not to mention its in depth history. The Historic District is property to southern Americana sights along cobblestoned & tree-lined streets.
The charming city presents a lot of history with its distinctive neighborhood architecture reminiscent of a “small town America” you’d see in the films. It is a quiet town, so do not anticipate also a lot buzzing activity, but day or evening the region in and about Forsyth Park is often bustling with the young and the old. The park also hosts a weekend flea marketplace on Sundays.
Major five Points to Do in Savannah on a road trip
- Delight in the laid-back atmosphere & southern charm of the Savannah Historic District
- Take a stroll through Bonaventure Cemetery (also good for Intsagram)
- Go to the big & green Forsyth Park in the city center—a preferred location for meetups and a sunset stroll, most renowned for its iconic fountain at the park’s center
- Discover the neighborhood modern art scene at the SCAD Museum of Art, portion of the Savannah College of Art & Style
- Shop on Broughton Street for style & meals
Study a lot more Savannah travel guidelines right here.
From Savannah, it is a extended handful of hours to Florida. And as soon as in Florida, there are a lot of locations to quit for a quick go to. The I-95 runs quite a few miles in-land from most of the beach cities, so the stretch of driving in Florida can be a bit boring. Jacksonville, Daytona Beach, and Fort Lauderdale make for great stopping points for the duration of a Florida road trip down I-95, but the Gulf Coast, Panhandle, and central Florida (Orlando) are all decent destinations apart from Miami and the Florida Keys at the tip.
• • •
Road trips are the sort of travel you will either appreciate or hate. They’re usually finest with a group of good friends or (in some cases) with family members, but it is also fairly manageable on your personal. So extended as you have got a price range and a passion for exploration, road trips are a lot of entertaining.
How a lot does an East Coast road trip expense? I managed the above road trip with stops in every single of these cities and managed to maintain my price range below $700 which includes hotels, gas, meals, and activities. That was with a lot of quick meals stops along the way, but hey—that’s portion of the joy of an American road trip!